Tuesday, October 17, 2006

What Drives US Iraq Policy?

The New York Times today ran a depressing yet enlightening article about the knowledge that members of congress who sit on key oversight committees have about the conflict in Iraq, and accross the middle east.
Take Representative Terry Everett, a seven-term Alabama Republican who is vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence.

“Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?” I asked him a few weeks ago.

Mr. Everett responded with a low chuckle. He thought for a moment: “One’s in one location, another’s in another location. No, to be honest with you, I don’t know. I thought it was differences in their religion, different families or something.”

To his credit, he asked me to explain the differences. I told him briefly about the schism that developed after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and how Iraq and Iran are majority Shiite nations while the rest of the Muslim world is mostly Sunni. “Now that you’ve explained it to me,” he replied, “what occurs to me is that it makes what we’re doing over there extremely difficult, not only in Iraq but that whole area.”

Gee, you think that might have been a good thing to know before going into Iraq? Were you going to start another war in Iran still not knowing that? Jesus, what do these people do in committee hearings? This seems like something that would be fundamental to understand before you start a war.
Representative Jo Ann Davis, a Virginia Republican who heads a House intelligence subcommittee charged with overseeing the C.I.A.’s performance in recruiting Islamic spies and analyzing information, was similarly dumbfounded when I asked her if she knew the difference between Sunnis and Shiites.

“Do I?” she asked me. A look of concentration came over her face. “You know, I should.” She took a stab at it: “It’s a difference in their fundamental religious beliefs. The Sunni are more radical than the Shia. Or vice versa. But I think it’s the Sunnis who’re more radical than the Shia.”

Did she know which branch Al Qaeda’s leaders follow?

“Al Qaeda is the one that’s most radical, so I think they’re Sunni,” she replied. “I may be wrong, but I think that’s right.”

Did she think that it was important, I asked, for members of Congress charged with oversight of the intelligence agencies, to know the answer to such questions, so they can cut through officials’ puffery when they came up to the Hill?

“Oh, I think it’s very important,” said Ms. Davis, “because Al Qaeda’s whole reason for being is based on their beliefs. And you’ve got to understand, and to know your enemy.”

It's very important yet even after the conversation quoted Rep Davis has no clue what a Sunni is and what a Shia is. If radicalism is the standard than I guess Hezbollah and Al-Qaeda must be the same group right? Oops. These people who are in charge of US policy in Iraq and accross the middle east really have no concept of the situation in that part of the world. As was said at Atrios, "we are governed by idiots." Congress clearly doesn't know a Sunni from a hole in the ground.

No comments: